If you are looking for custom software development companies in Eastern Europe, Lviv, a city in western Ukraine, will most probably appear on your list of geographical locations to check.
This article brings you key facts about the city and gives you comprehensive overview of the local IT industry. We hope it will help your research.
Facts about Lviv IT Industry
1. There are about 140 IT companies currently operating in the market (Source: Gazeta.ua).
2. The city boasts an established IT industry that has been growing rapidly since the 1990s. There is also an active local IT community in Lviv. Lviv IT-BPO Cluster is a collective effort of leading industry players aimed at fostering technological development in the region. Established in 2008, this cluster helps to reform IT education, organizes industry-related conferences, roadshows, and IT tours as well as other media projects to improve the IT environment. Moreover, the city has a business incubator called Startup Depot that develops a culture of technological entrepreneurship by helping local start-ups to enter the global market.
3. The city has over 6,000 professionals working in IT and has the largest quantity of developers per capita among leading IT software development hubs (Source: Lviv IT-BPO Cluster).
4. The city of Lviv employs over 15% of all IT specialists in Ukraine which generate $150 mln per year (Source:Lviv IT-BPO Cluster).
5. Lviv has the largest amount of game development startup companies, and is the third largest region overall in the country for IT startups (Source: AIN.UA).
6. Lviv was recognized as the most attractive region for investments, based on data from 2012-2013 (Source: liga.net).
7. Lviv is the cultural capital of Ukraine, which makes it an appealing place to live in, and thus attracts high-quality specialists not only from the West, but also nationwide.
8.Lviv regularly hosts international IT conferences, such as the Lviv IT Arena and Software Quality Assurance Days which gathers industry players from all over Ukraine and the international community.
9. Every year over 1,800 IT graduates from Lviv universities enter the local labor market (Source: Lviv IT-BPO Cluster).
10. Lviv has a variety of different IT communities:
- Testers.Lviv.UA – This professional community of software testers conducts monthly seminars on testing under the brand “Testers’ Talks” which organizes and assists conferences on testing such as the Lviv QA Conference.
- PM Community – This professional community gathers together all parties involved in project management and teams in the IT field to share the experience of practicing IT managers, disseminate best practices, and to study and develop the best IT manager trainees.
- Google Developers Group – Open and volunteer geek community that creates exciting projects and shares experience about Google technology with passion and meets for about two times a month in office of Lviv’s IT companies. Yearly it organizes GDG DevFest – the biggest Google related event in Ukraine.
- WISC – This group is a western Ukrainian formation of engineers and specialists in the field of information security and information technology. The community holds a series of conferences and workshops, and is a co-organizer of Lviv IT Arena conference. It also develops a unified platform of botnet detection and network management centers.
Photo credits (from top to bottom): EPAM, EPAM, N-iX, Nravo and Symphony Solutions
General Facts about the City
1. The current Lviv Population is around 730,000 citizens (Source: Wikipedia.org).
2. There are 170,000 students in 38 higher education institutions (Source: Lviv.Travel).
3. The average rate of Business Services growth for the last 3 years has been a steady 40% (Source: Lviv.Travel).
4. 1,800,000 tourists visited Lviv in 2013 (Source: Lviv Tourist Products Catalogue 2014).
5. For the last 3 years there has been an increase of tourism annually of 40% (Source: Lviv.Travel).
6. 50% of all architectural tourist landmarks in Ukraine are located in Lviv (Source: Lviv Tourist Products Catalogue 2014).
7. Lviv is a great place to live for traveling to neighboring countries. The distance to the border of EU is just 60 km and the distance of European capitals is as follows: Warsaw – 400 km, Budapest – 630 km, Vienna – 720 km (Source: Lviv.Travel).
8. Lviv enthusiastically cooperates with international financial institutions involving credit and money of international technical assistance including: EBRD, World Bank, KfW, GTZ, USAID (Source:Lviv.Travel).