Businesses that operate in the utilities sector distribute water, electricity and natural gas to thousands of households. They have to deal with large volumes of data and documents on a daily basis. Oftentimes, they rely on slow and inflexible legacy systems, which leads to problems in operational efficiency.
Thus our clients felt a strong need for innovations and even a broader digital transformation. Their main goals were to increase the processing speed of their software, automate operations, and streamline business processes. The clients also sought to resolve such issues as a slow billing cycle, lack of flexibility, a lot of manual work, human errors etc. Our Professional Services Team was required to complete the following tasks:
- Improve system flexibility to simplify changes and collaboration. For one thing, there are changes in the business processes that need to be represented in the documents. So our clients needed to be able to address them without the regular involvement of an IT specialist who supports the system. For another, federal legal requirements change occasionally and they bring about many changes in the business processes and the documents alike.
- Automate the billing cycle. Lack of flexibility combined with large volumes of documents put significant strain on the company resources. N-iX specialists got the task to automate the billing cycle of the utility provider. Thus they were to develop a solution that would read raw data from SAP, process it, generate output on the go, and distribute it automatically.
- Automate and shorten the document approval cycle. The client required a solution that would have a convenient WYSIWYG user interface where their employees could collaborate, tweak the document design, insert text if needed, add marketing messages etc. What’s more, the approval of such changes typically took days, so they needed to shorten the approval cycle to several hours.
- Build a scalable solution that would generate thousands of documents fast. The legacy systems used by our clients couldn’t handle hundreds of thousands of documents they needed to generate and process. So N-iX consultants’ main task was to implement a scalable solution that would do it fast.
- Ensure solution maintainability. Customer legacy systems were often developed in-house decades ago by engineers who since have changed job or retired, and the customers have been struggling to maintain the solutions. As an industry standard, StreamServe is serviced by many specialized consulting companies such as N-iX, which resolves the problem of solution maintenance.